According to Vanessa Van-Edwards, Portland-based founder of The Science of People, anyone can improve their people skills and become "the most memorable person in the room." In her 10-step guide to awesome conversations, she suggests being prepared with a few interesting conversation starters.
Focusing on questions that spark energy and excitement in the other person is one of the best ways to keep the conversation going. Next time you're at a party, networking event, or any other social gathering, try spicing up your chat with these simple questions:
- Working on anything exciting lately?
- How do you know the host?
- What was the highlight of your day today?
- What are your favorite restaurants around here?
- How do you usually celebrate [your birthday/Halloween/Christmas/event relevant to your current context]?
For more ideas, visit The Science of People's Killer Conversation Starters.